Sunday, June 8, 2014

A Lesson

So I got a very unpleasant shock when I stepped on the scale Saturday morning for my official weigh-in.  My weight was something like 151.4.  I was so upset I didn't even really note the weight well enough to get it entered into my food diary, so I can't say for sure.  That's 3 lbs. up from my weigh in the week before!

I wanted to cry.

I really, really wanted to cry.

Now, I know from long experience that weigh fluctuates, and a couple of pounds there one day may be gone the next.  Who knows, perhaps I was extra bloated that morning.  And sure enough, this morning on the scale I was down to 149.2.  But really, this up and down between about 147 & 152 pounds has been the norm for the last year.  That's what I want to change.  But it's not changing, and that's what makes me want to cry.  Especially since I had a really good week, with drinking my water, exercising, keeping to my food diary, and even eating more veggies.

I know there's a lesson here, I just don't know what it is.

Do I need to give up on my gradual food diary approach and go back to a much more restrictive diet?

Do I need to go to the doctor and see if I have something hormonal going on?

Do I need to take a leap and try one of the gazillion various supplements that my friends are promoting for weight loss?

Do I need to just be patient and not let the number on the scale ruin my day?

My husband votes for the last option.  He says that he can see changes in me, that I'm toned and firmer, never mind what the scale says.  But I can't see them, not really.  Still, how can I be running 12 miles (like I did yesterday) and not see some changes?  Even if it's just massive calf muscles?

This weight loss stuff is hard.  It's hard mentally.  But I'm not giving up.  I only fail if I give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment