Saturday, May 3, 2014

Courage Needed

Maybe it's stubbornness I need, rather than courage.  Or maybe both would do it.

Anyway, this morning was official weigh in day for the week, and wouldn't you know it?  My weight is up 0.6 pounds.  That's not a lot.  It's not even a pound.  But when your goal is to lose 1/2 pound a week, and you've worked hard all week and kept all your goals, it's frustrating to see the number go up!

Now I've been doing this long enough to know that this is normal.  The number may fluctuate but over time, as long as I'm consistent, the trend will be downward.  However, handling a weight increase emotionally, no matter how seemingly insignificant, is a whole different matter.  I get so frustrated and depressed and I just want to throw in the towel.  Or resign myself to just maintaining this weight, rather than trying to lose.

No.  I'm not giving in to negative thoughts.  This temporary.  I just need to keep working and be patient.  My changes will be slow, and that's by design, since I'm making permanent changes, not yo-yo ones.

On a more positive note, I ran 11 miles today (burning more than 1300 calories per my food diary).  Afterward, I treated myself to a McDonald's sundae.  Yes, all the experts say it's counter-productive to reward yourself with dessert when you finish a workout.  But I think 1300 calories more than covered my little hot fudge sundae with nuts.  That's part of what makes these changes livable.

Now back to my healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment